International Tax Consulting in Thailand
In February 2022, Thailand signed the OECD’s Multilateral Instrument (MLI) which will bring a new level of transparency to the tax affairs of individuals and companies who are (tax) active in more than one country.
Notably, as more countries adopt the OECD’s measures to prevent base erosion and profit shifting, the scrutiny by tax authorities on cross-border transactions will only increase. Consequently, a proactive, technically sound, consistent, and commercially driven approach by taxpayers to tax planning, especially international tax planning, should now always be adopted to mitigate the risks of costly tax disputes and audits.
PKF offers a variety of international tax services which include:
♦ Advice on whether an overseas company has created, or will be deemed to have created, a taxable presence (permanent establishment) in Thailand through the activities in Thailand of its employee or agent and the resulting tax consequences.
♦ Assisting international groups manage the global tax rate and tax position.
♦ Helping companies to keep up to date with new developments affecting business, locally and globally.
♦ Tax structuring considerations when considering an investment or acquisition in Thailand.
♦ Advising on effective and tax efficient cross-border strategies for investments.
♦ Advising on international agreements and transactions and the tax considerations, including transfer pricing considerations and considering relevant Double Tax Agreements.
♦ Advice with respect to the internationally mobile employees of international companies.
♦ Thai market entry and business establishment advice, including applications for incentives granted by the Board of Investment (BOI) and Industrial Estate Authority.
♦ Assistance and advice for international companies who wish to establish an International Business Centre (IBC) in Thailand.
PKF provides a full range of International corporate and personal tax services. Clients include large listed and unlisted companies, fast growing companies, and wealthy entrepreneurs and executives.
We have a strong, very experienced PKF International Tax Team of Thai and foreign tax professionals who have specialist academic and professional qualifications and international practical tax experience from time working in Africa, Asia, Australia, Europe, the Middle East, the UK, and the United States.
In addition, as a member of the PKF global network we are able to draw on the expertise of tax specialists in our other 440 offices located throughout 150 countries and offer a ‘one-stop’ shop. In this way we are able to cover the global tax implications of a multinational group and provide relevant, specialist tax advice for every entity and for every location.
The PKF International Tax team is based in Bangkok and able to deliver International Tax assignments through our offices in Bangkok, Chiang Mai, Hua Hin, Pattaya, Phuket, Sriracha and U Tapao.
International Personal Tax Services
- Tax compliance and planning for internationally mobile employees
- Tax planning for entrepreneurs and Owner Managed Businesses
- Tax planning for share incentives
- Personal Income Tax, Capital Gains Tax, and Inheritance Tax advice for individuals
International Corporate Tax Services
- Tax planning for inbound and outbound investment and cross-border transactions
- Pre-IPO corporate restructuring advice
- Sale and Purchase of shares and businesses assets
- Advising on tax treaty issues
- Managing contentious issues and tax disputes
- Advising on permanent establishments
- Advising on business restructurings
- Corporate Income Tax, Capital Gains Tax, Withholding Tax, Stamp Duty, and Value Added Tax advice
Head of Tax Department
Philip has over 35 years’ experience in the corporate and international tax, most of which with PwC and KPMG in the UK, Africa, the Middle East, and Thailand.
Notably, Philip worked as a tax partner for KPMG, and for a time was the Head of Tax for PwC in Mauritius – roles which provided invaluable practical experience, real insight into different cultures, tax authorities, tax laws and practices, and how the different internal tax departments of KPMG and PwC operated.
- Various senior roles with UK companies including Aerospace Communication Systems, British Steel, Marconi Communications, and Coopers & Lybrand / PwC 1984 to 2002
- PwC Tanzania and PwC Zambia 2002 to 2005
- Tax Director with KPMG Thailand 2005 to 2008
- Head of Tax, PwC, Mauritius 2008 to 2010
- Tax Director/Partner KPMG, Oman, Middle East 2010 to 2013
- Head of Tax and Legal Support, PKF International 2013 to 2018
- Various roles dealing with international corporate tax matters, PKF 2018 to 2020
- Partner, PKF Thailand 2021
- Banking and financial services
- Power, water and utilities
- Retail and consumer goods
- Service industries
- Travel, tourism and hospitality
- Chartered Accountant (Fellow, ACCA, UK)
- Chartered Tax Adviser (Associate, Chartered Institute of Taxation, UK)
- Associate Member of the Association of Accounting Technicians
PKF is here to help
Find out how PKF can help you get closer to your goals